The Board of Directors of Cumberland Academy believes its first and primary responsibility is the health and safety of the students who attend our school. We have spent countless hours during recent meetings evaluating and reevaluating what we can do to make Cumberland Academy a safe environment for learning and also provide support for the health needs of our students.
To encourage good health practices and support special health needs of our students, we provide healthcare workings at our campuses for assistance and distribution of medications and other health needs. All of our staff are fully trained in CPR and appropriate protocols to handle students with seizures. Medication is on site to treat severe anaphylactic allergic reactions. Hearing, vision, and spinal screenings are performed every year for the appropriate grades that fall under state guidelines and are submitted to the state. Every year, each campus reviews and updates immunization records and immunization affidavits to make sure each returning and new student is appropriately up to date. At the upper grade levels, we have athletic trainers available to prevent and treat injuries.
For the safety and security of our students, we have intensively reviewed the processes in place to maximally protect each of our student. We have hired outside consultants who have reviewed all of our processes and have made recommendations for improvement. We have implemented these recommendations and continue to update them each year. Among our current practices for protecting each student includes the following:
- security fencing around each campus and video camera for monitoring hallways and outside entrances
- background checks on all school personnel through the DPS system along with proper fingerprinting
- name based background checks on volunteers and parents for several different circumstances per TEA requirements
- staff and visitors wear identifying name badges; High School students are also asked to wear identifying name badges
- security personnel monitor hallways at the Middle School and High School
- Cumberland Academy provides educational programs on "Bullying" and Internet safety issues. A disciplinary process is in place for students that do not allow these safety practices and rules.
- Primary entry doors have secure electronic locks
- annual review of our security programs and practices by outside consultants
- annual staff education to protect students in the emergency circumstances including active shooter
- in addition to the standard fire drills our students are also trained to respond to an active shooter or similar threat
- in response to our Governor of Texas school security plan, we are providing office space at the Leadership Academy campus where Troopers of the Department of Public Safety will stop and work on their administrative reports during both day and evening hours.
- implementation of the Guardian Plan approved by the State of Texas and the Texas Education Agency allowing highly trained individuals, once they have completed all the trainings and mental health requirements, to have a concealed weapon on campus to protect our students and staff from individuals who present a threat to life and injury
Additional information of the Cumberland Academy safety policy and procedures is seen on additional pages of this website and will continue to be updated as more and more trainings are completed each year. After reviewing all of this information, it is the hope of the Board of Directors of Cumberland Academy that students and staff on each of our campuses are receiving the most up to date and appropriate security available at this time.
Chairman of the Board of Directors
James R Cotton, MD